Pac 8 Salad
1 ½ cups long-grain brown rice
3 cups water
½ cup lime juice
¼ cup expeller-pressed safflower oil
1 teaspoon granulated garlic
1 Tablespoon dried oregano
1 Tablespoon kosher salt
2 teaspoons chili powder
1 teaspoon black pepper
½ teaspoon cumin
½ teaspoon fennel seed
1 pound boneless, skinless chicken thighs
2 medium cloves garlic, smashed and roughly chopped
½ teaspoon kosher salt
½ teaspoon dried oregano
½ teaspoon red pepper flakes
¼ teaspoon black pepper
1/3 cup expeller pressed safflower oil + 2 Tablespoons, divided.
1 sweet bell pepper (red, yellow, or orange), seeded and cut into 1-inch pieces
¼ head red cabbage, cored and roughly chopped into 1-inch pieces (about 1 cup)
3 Tablespoons white balsamic vinegar
½ teaspoon salt
½ bunch fresh cilantro, roughly chopped (about 1 cup)
1/8 teaspoon black pepper
1 lime, cut into wedges
- Mix marinade, add chicken, cover, set out at room temperature for 30 minutes.
- Add rice and water to rice cooker and press start.
- In a large bowl, combine the garlic, salt, oregano, red pepper flakes, and black pepper. Set aside.
- In a large skillet over high heat, add 1/3 cup of the oil until just smoking. Add the pepper and cabbage. Stir the mixture once to coat with the oil, then let cook without stirring until the vegetables begin to brown, about 3 minutes. Stir again and cook the vegetables for 1 more minute.
- Add vinegar and cook for about 1 minute, reducing the liquid without overcooking the peppers and cabbage. Transfer the hot vegetables to the bowl with the garlic mixture.
- Wipe out the skillet, return to high heat, and heat the remaining 2 Tablespoons oil until smoking. Add the chicken thighs, smooth side down, and cook without moving until the bottom side is well charred, about 4 minutes. Flip the chicken, reduce the heat to low, and cook until the chicken is tender and no longer pink, about 10 minutes.
- Transfer chicken to plate, let rest 5 minutes, and then cut into 1-inch chunks.
- Combine rice, peperonata, chicken, and all remaining ingredients. Stir well to combine and serve.
- This dish can be stored for up to 3 days in the refrigerator.